Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cygwin


First up, I had put up a statutory warning for the previous post [below this one]. Do follow instructions the next time I put up a statutory warning.

Now for this post -

The Location: My Desktop PC
The Villain: Old PC Configuration and a non functional DVD/CD Drive
The Hero: Cygwin

It took a day to figure out and download what all packages I need to install to run GCC on Windows. But finally when I successfully compiled and executed a program called "dclinux.c" I was really relieved. Not that it'll make much of a difference to my programming knowledge, but at least I won't have to install Linux on my computer just for GCC or . Also there was the fact that I can't install Linux or use Knoppix or Ubuntu because my DVD drive decided to go on strike!

Downloading and Installing

Install
Cygwin/X
now

Cygwin/X is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe and the installation process is documented in the Cygwin/X User's Guide. Whether or not you already have Cygwin installed, you can add Cygwin/X to your installation by downloading the latest setup.exe, running setup, and selecting the 'xorg-x11-base' package from the 'X11' category.

Link for setting up GCC on Cygwin -
GCC on Cygwin
Also see -
Cygwin

2 comments:

Ketan said...

Man u shld hav asked me...i am using it for the last 3 months...neways it also will hav packages for r flex and yacc tools; so tht even CL practs can be done on windows...so in case u need tell me in colg.

Cyber said...

Dude, GCC comes packaged with IDEs like Codeblocks and Dev C++ for windows...